Saturday, March 26, 2011

interview with adlib

www.myspace.com/adlib

abyss: first off i wanna congratulate you on the illroc signing, as ive seen in the last few years you have coll abed with alot of hip-hop legends in the underground community plus ive noticed your style is a mix of punk rock and rap have you had other offers or did illroc seem like the perfect fit for you do to your style?
adlib:ILL-ROC to me isn't just a Label..Danny Diablo showed me nothing but love and respect since the day I met him..Regardless if I signed a deal tomorrow to a major I'll still be ILL-ROC..Danny wants everyone to get out there and be able to make a living a lot of CEO's don't care about the artist they are looking for a quick buck he isn't like that..I respect that so I'll ride for him no matter what.

abyss: Ive been following your music for about 8 years now and you first got on the mad in 02 with never enough that won philly hip-hop video of the year and philly has a huge rap scene as seing your from philly are you active at all in the philly hi-hop scene since your a heavy contributer with the valley scene even started the hip-hop showcase at pitchers?

adlib:At that time in Philly there was a amazing scene going on..honestly almost everyday of the week there was something going on..I'm happy to have been apart of it.
As far as ABE my family moved to allentown when I was about 20 I followed about a year or 2 later and have been back and forth a few times! I have built life long friends here. And most of the artist on my inner circle are all from or live now in the ABE..Godilla, Ali ArmZ, AeyOne, Caesar Glomgold, Uncanny and King Magnetic..I just moved back to Philly I'll be working with my Krush Unit fam for a SnowGoons record and also with my Dj Stress on a Stress Files EP..but I'll be in Allentown every Thursday for THE NETWORK @ Pitchers on Union Blvd.

abyss:what inspired you to become a rapper and was rapping your first choice of music to pursue?

adlib:I got into rapping because I knew Slick Rick, Special ED and Fresh Prince songs word for word..me and my boy word make stupid shit up just fuckin around..then when we got into Public Enemy NWA Epmd and I started to get more serious. When Cypress Hill Redman and House of Pain dropped forget it! It was over for me I never stopped writing from that point

abyss:whats your take on the current state of hip-hop?

adlib:The state of music in general is horrible..People are looking to make ringtone songs not good records. But there is always good artist and music out there.. you just have to look for it and support the artist you do like. Its not like it use to be..its nothing for people to download your music for free..so its harder for underground artist to stay afloat..studio, artwork mixing, mastering.. that all cost money, when your independent and funding your own project its hard to continue doing that when your record is everywhere online for free.

abyss:whats more important to you as a artist to make it or to have respect in the industry cus u see alot of talented rappers nowadays sellout for a quik uck some for greeb some out of need so whats more importan in your current state?

adlib:Obviously I want to make a good living doing what I love and what I am good at..I will never change who I am that doesn't mean I wouldn't do a pop sounding record..I would but I would be me..at the end of the day staying true to yourself is all that matters

abyss:it must of been a honor to be featured on snowgoons blacksnow album it was one of that years best cd's how did you link up with snowgoons?

adlib:My homie Reef had worked with them before so I knew about them thru him..But it was King Magnetic that linked us up..I did a hook for Mag for Incite a Riot after he sent it to them they sent me Avalanche Warning with Pacewon and Nervous Wreck..I then Went to Europe to HipHop Kemp and Royal Arena Festival and traveled with them..they are good people and I respect there grind.. Anytime they need anything from me I got them

abyss:speaking of producers is there any producer you havent worked with that you wish u could?

adlib:Beatnuts, Prince Paul, Premo, Madlib, and as far as up and coming I really like Stu Bangas Lu Ballz from Boston.

abyss:you've been getting aclaim before the years of social networking so im assumign you had a goo d streat hustle when it came to music with social netowrking making it easier to get your music otu you think a strong street hustle with you music is more important?

adlib:The most important thing is to always keep it real with people..don't say you can do things you can't and don't burn bridges..I know what I want I set goals and as soon as I reach them I set new ones. Sleep is the cousin of death! So I stay on my grind

abyss:most emcee's dont take lightly to negetive critism are you one of those rappers who pout about it or do you let the negetive crritics help guide your style.

adlib.I'm gonna do me regardless..if my name is in your mouth I'm doing my job.

2 comments:

  1. ADLIB IS THE TRUTH!!! ILL-ROC SOLDIER!!!

    DANNY DIABLO

    ReplyDelete
  2. good interview, Ad's been putting in that work! he has both quality and consistency and tears it up live

    ReplyDelete