Saturday, March 26, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH GODILLA

http://www.myspace.com/licensed2illa

abyss: as a artist you have a impressive resume of collaborators ranging from general Steele of smith and Wesson to thirsten howl and countless others, artist you probably looked up to in he start of your career now working with artist you listened to do you feel like you made it as a artist?

godilla: I'm sure I haven't made it as an artist succeeding on the business end of things, but artistically I feel like I'm doin my thing. It's incredible to do songs with artists who I grew up listening to and who are well respected in field artistically. It's even better to get that mutual respect back and have them actually support the product. It would be one thing if people just gave me a verse, but these brothers actually support my movement which makes me feel like the mission is accomplished on the art side of things.

abyss: lyrically you probably have one of the most complex flows ive heard from in a while has anyone or anything inspired your style of rap?

godilla: Thanks for the compliment...glad to see people are listening to the flow and catching the little things whether it's multi syllables or a slick funny line. At the end of the day I'm inspired by any artist pushing the bar lyrically.

abyss: whats your opinion on the current state of hip-hop?

godilla: Hip-Hop is constantly goin thru cycles and right now it seems that were in a pop cycle. Some of it I like some it I don't. It's def better than it was at the start of the decade. I like the breath of fresh air some of the new kids bring to the game whether it's the abstract shit like Tyler The Creator, the accessibility in Wiz Khalifa or the J.Cole's. We should have choices of what we want to listen to. I remember back in the day I would watch Video Music Box and you would see BDP, NWA, Geto Boys and Twin Hype in a 15 minute interval. Whether I liked it or not wasn't the case. It was just ill to have those choices. Now a days it feels like programming force feeds you one type of style with a shit load of carbon copies of the originator. Half that shit people do now would get you fucked up at a show lol. So to answer your question, yeah I like what's goin' on Hip-Hop at this particular time

abyss: your releasing your next mixtape battlebeast during this summer who are some of the collaborators and producers we can look forward to seeing on this release?

godilla: Battlebeast-A Prelude To Human Zoo will be released this summer thru Redphone Records. It's not a mixtape, but a collabo album with a few solo joints on there. Some of the guests vocally are my Freedom 30 crew, Thirstin Howl The 3rd, Life Long, June Marx, Nine, King Magnetic, Toussaint The Liberator, Scheme, Tone Liv among other people I fux wit. Shouts to all who lent their talents to the project. Production wise I got Haze Attacks, Ali Armz, Weirdo, Fascist Beats, Nemisis, Dj Rybe, The Grim Reaperz, Stu Bangas, Boognasty, Qwan and some other ill dudes that hold me down production wise

abyss: suprilla in my mind was a local classic and a concept we don't see nowadays a emcee/producer album reminiscent of eric b and rakim would you plan on putting a album like that again?

godilla: I'd would like to and it's a matter of scheduling. Reign Supreme and I have been in talks of doin another one in the future, but it's really a matter of taking the time and doing it right. I know a lot of people love that album regionally so if we do it, we gonna have to clear our schedule for a few months and do everything from scratch. That's how our last one was made so why fix it if it ain't broke. Funny you mention it I just released it as a download on www.thehiphophead.net and it got over 300 dl's in 2 days. I didn't know the demand was there lol.

abyss: whats the status on freedom 30 there were talks around the valley late last year of a local super group with u adlib, ali, caesar glomgold are there plans on a album or is it just a click type thing?

godilla: Peace to my F-30 brothers Ali Armz, Adlib, C.Glom and Aeyone. I would compare F-30 to somethin similar to how DITC rocked. We are all on each other's projects and you can catch us doin shows and songs together. Again it's time scheduling. We wouldn't rush an album and force it out. We grew up on having a certain bar of music. So when it does come out, please know it will be a problem!!! Get me 200 people who would be interested in doing pre orders and maybe we'll put more effort into gettin it done.

abyss: you have worked with a few top notched underground producers, snowgoons dj kwestion of jtm, is there anyone who; on your wish list to work with?

godilla: I've been blessed to work with great talent production wise...I would love to work with Dj Premier, Agallah, Sid Roams and Alchemist

abyss: after you appeared on snowgoons black snow did your fan base get larger in the hip-hop community since there a german based production company

godilla: Yeah working with The Snowgoons always helps. The have such a strong support system and their fans are such die hards. Shouts to Mannu and the rest of the Goons!!!

abyss: do you plan of making rap a career or is it more just a hobby?

godilla: Rap isn't a career or hobby to me. It's a lifestyle. Is it paying my mortgage and car note...No! I've been blessed to be heard and get some doe on the side, so I'm def not mad at that. I think being in a small town like Easton and being heard to the extent I have is a feat in itself.

abyss: what or who'm inspired you to rap?

godilla: I was inspired by the culture. Whether it was the graff artists, dj's or style in the way we was dressing back in the day. It was just fly to me and I was captivated at an early age. I always wanted to be a DJ, but never had the doe so I got biz with a pen and a pad. What's cheaper than a notebook and pen?

2 comments: